(seafood.vasep.com.vn) In 2021, VASEP will continue its activities on the basis of joining hands with the local provinces and fishermen as well as implementing a program to support member enterprises to better fulfill their commitment against IUU fishing.
VASEP's program Marine product enterprises committed to combating IUU fishing was launched and has been implemented since 2017 - when the EU issued IUU yellow card on Vietnam’s fishery. From 2017 up to now, many activities of VASEP’ program have been implemented effectively and highly appreciated by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Directorate of Fisheries, the Delegation of the European Union to Vietnam, the central and local authorities and member enterprises.
Following the program implemented in the past 3 years, in 2021, VASEP will continue its activities on the basis of joining hands with the local provinces and fishermen as well as implementing a program to support member enterprises to better fulfill their commitment against IUU fishing.
Accordingly, from April 11 to April 16, 2021, the IUU Working Group of VASEP will deploy the program to work in two provinces of Ca Mau and Kien Giang. The program will have the following specific activities:
(1) Meet and work with the Fisheries Sub-Departments of Ca Mau and Kien Giang, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Sub-Department in catch certification activities and other anti-IUU duties.
(2) Meet and work with the Fishing Port Management Boards in Ca Mau and Kien Giang, discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Fishing Port in the inspection of landing-docking fishing vessels, recording and measuring yield, landing seafood species, catch statement of raw materials, and other anti-IUU tasks.
(3) Meet with seafood companies in the two provinces to exchange information and support the IUU team of the companies to complete documents-procedures and practical implementation of IUU combating activities at enterprises, discuss and record difficulties and recommendations of companies in the anti-IUU fishing program as well as seafood processing and exporting activities in general.
(4) In particular, on the morning of April 13, 2021 (8:30 to 11:30), at the People’s Comittee Hall of Song Doc town - Group 3, Song Doc town, Ca Mau province, VASEP coordinated with Ca Mau Fisheries Sub-Department to host Dialogue Conference between «State authorities-businesses-fishermen-VASEP». The contents of dialogue at the conference include:
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of fishermen in implementing regulations against IUU fishing.
- Discussing the advantages and disadvantages of enterprises, collection agents in catch statement, catch certifications, catch records ...
- Discuss advantages and disadvantages of Fisheries Sub-Department, Fishing Port Management Board in performing catch statement, catch certifications and anti-IUU activities in general.
- Collect proposals and summarize recommendations with the related stakeholders.
Working programs and dialogues during the working trip of IUU VASEP Working Group will help the Association grasp the reality of problems of the fishing chain in the anti-IUU fishing program, from which there will be support plans and recommendations to all stakeholders in the chain and submit reports to state management agencies and to propose more effective solutions to soon overcome IUU yellow card, regain prestige and position of Vietnam seafood in the EU market.