In the future, demand for sustainable seafood products will be on an upward trend. Achieving certificates of international standards will help enterprises raise its competitiveness and create a firm position in the international markets.
Several Pangasius farms have been set up and implemented organic farming models, in compliance with international standards:
1. Model of Green Farm (applying AquaGAP standard) have been undertaking in Dong Thap province, by Vinh Hoan Joint-Stock Company. Principles to be respected: compliance with Government master-plan, environment protection and friendliness, social responsibilities, farmed fish health, food safety and traceability.
2. Model of Organic farming in An Giang province, jointly invested by BINCA Seafood (head office located in Germany) has been inspected and certified by NaturLand. Organic farmed Tra fish are exported to Germany and certain European countries during the recent years.
3. Tra farming model by applying GlobalGAP (with principles: social and environment responsibilities, food hygiene and safety, friendly and sustainable traceability) has been highly appreciated by European wholesalers and consumers.
4. Fresh fish raising models such as PurePanga, TracePanga are highly appreciated by authorities and customers.
5. Many businesses have been applying and achieved BAP (Best Aquaculture Practice). BAP, set of standards developed by Global Aquaculture Alliance (GAA), is the leading standard for supply chain. This has been taken into consideration by many retailers and distributors across the US.
6. Many businesses have been applying and achieved standards of Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC). ASC certified pangasius products are suggested by retailers and consumers to promote food safety and responsibility to society and environment.
7. VietGAP standards, harmonizing international standards on sustainability including ASC, GlobalGAP, BAP, are applied to Vietnamese pangasius industry from 2014.